Door Cards and Knobs

Plenty of driving has ensued for the month of September. A visit to the Breakfast meet at Haynes International Motor Museum on the 2nd, two trips to my place of work (54 mile round trips), a drive to Gillingham and onto  Sturminster Newton and another trip to Salisbury has put on the miles and smiles.

Here is another video, this time with a former work colleague driving the Corsair back from his leaving do.

In the garage/car port, there had been some practical activity. I finally got around to recovering the badly warped door cards, that had been that way since I took delivery of the Corsair way back in March 2000. The intention was only to try and salvage the original vinyl covering and then put them on to new flat hardboard, not pretty but more of a case of function over form. New ones form Aldridge Trimmers are about £170 for a pair of door cards. Removal of the vinyl wasn’t too difficult using a filler spreader to prise the vinyl away from the hardboard and I managed to salvage most of the door clips.

The 3 mm thick hardboard was cheap enough at less than £6 a sheet of 1200 x 610 mm then I used the old door cards as templates for the outline cutting of size and holes. A couple of mistakes were made, firstly don’t use a jigsaw to cut the board unless you have a very steady hand as it cut too easily like going through butter but then the blade would jam and detach form the jigsaw (frequently). As a result my cuts were not straight but some what wavy. Second mistake was don’t use the old warped, shrunk and stretched boards as templates – there was a reason they were crudely screwed on in the first place.

Back from my local builder merchants and with two new hardboard panels I set about getting a tracing off each door first with all the holes in the right place (the wife let me use her tailoring tracing paper) – still an awkward job though which lead to an untidy tracing. Once I transferred the cutting guides to the hardboard I went back to my familiar roots of cutting heavy board with a Stanley knife so I at least got long straight cuts. I was to find my tracing guides were a bit generous that needed trimming down later. For the trim clips to hold the panel to the doors I had bought some new clips on line from Bresco.com and reused some of the old clips as well. This time to cut the holes for the door clips to be inserted, I used a 6 mm chisel which made it much quicker and made cleaner cut holes this second time, as last time I used the Stanley knife which was quite hard work.

Refitting the vinyl cover was OK, using Gorrilla ‘wood’ glue, some double sided tape for the wrap over edges and a borrowed staple gun from the office helped secure the old vinyl cover in place. When refitting the panels back on the doors, some of my clips didn’t quite line up with th eholes in the door panel but most did and that was enough to hold the door card in place with the arm rest, window winder and door lever adding to keeping it in place.

Skull gear knob

The skull gear knob was a Christmas present (at my request) last year but the universal rubber adapter/bung/grommet wasn’t good enough to hold the knob in place, especially when having to lift the lever for getting into reverse. Luckily, where I work there are some workshops I could ask to help, so from my instructions they made a metal collar with a 5/16 UNF thread that was then glued into the base of the skull which made a perfect and secure fit to the gear lever.

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This blog is kept spam free by WP-SpamFree.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.