H& H Ignition Solutions [website here] delivered as promised a rebuilt and refurbished distributor. It looked like new. I presume my original internals were used but a new body was sourced which was added to the total refurbishment cost. You can see from the photos what a great looking piece of kit it looks like, just hope it performs as well as it looks.
So the new dizzy was passed to John along with a collection of gaskets and an oil filter for the engine re-assembly and hopefully a good starting point for a fresh tune-up.
Some nice weather in mid March and there was a great opportunity to finish off the fuel tank with some more black Hammerite I had left over from previous jobs. All was going great, paint looking nice and drying well in the sunshine, and then I looked inside. The sealant I put in the previous week had begun to peel! Damn! ****! I was well aware that the inside of the tank needed to be ‘bone’ dry, but did I get it dry enough last time?… Obviously not!
While the Corsair was away at AJ Restorations I had a go at rebuilding the Zenith 361V carburettor. I had bought another one to practice on first, but it was mainly designed for a Land Rover application as the fuel inlet was different and I wasn’t sure on some of the other internal subtle differences, so it was not suitable for the Corsair application. The only part I salvaged was the rod connecting the floats as the original was bent. I refrained from swapping the pump too as the Land Rover one had a much softer spring and I wondered if that would have an adverse effect on final operation.
The images are in a sequential order and partially explain the process.
Plenty of time was spent taking it apart and with the old gasket scrapped off and the whole carb dismantled, the mating faces of the body were rubbed on 1200 grit wet and dry paper with WD40 as a lubricant to flatten the surfaces. Plenty of carb cleaner was sprayed in all the holes and orifices then blown through with an air duster but it wasn’t very powerful.
I used these useful links to help in my research for what to do:
Thought I’d better write something to at least put you in the picture, considering you have got this far.
I’ve not done a thing to the Corsair. I did try to test the coil last month that I had on the car and it turned out from an enquiry on a forum, I would need an unballasted replacement coil. I’ve lost all motivation, confidence and self esteem and I’m not saving up the pennies for parts. Seriously if you think YOU can help me, please comment below and I’ll get back to you. No crap please, I’ve no idea who even looks at this blog/website either, the ‘webstats’ go only so far as number of hits…
In a nutshell, it’s a desperate call for help,. Even then I’m not sure if I could accept due to the personal turmoil I’m in, but I just don’t know where to turn on this. The car is NOT for sale.
OK, been very quiet for over five months and have done nothing to the Corsair. I must admit I was really p*ss*d off that I messed up the clutch slave cylinder which seriously knocked my confidence on the whole job. The wife came up trumps at Christmas and bought me a new slave cylinder from these guys Powertrack Ltd. It wasn’t enough to get me going though as I REALLY didn’t want to screw that one up!!
I actually had a quick look again at the Corsair on Saturday (13th April), to try and figure out how to free off the seized clutch plate. A squirt of WD40, maybe? Couldn’t get the tin anywhere near the opening to the bell-housing to be on target with the spray…
It was a step closer at least to resuming work. I know, some (most?) folk would of had the car out, on jacks/axles stands, gearbox off and clutch assembly off in a coupe of hours. It’s not as if I haven’t done something like it before either.
After months of taking things out, un-seizing components, dismantling and cleaning them up they were actually going back in and in an operational state. Most satisfying was getting the clutch pedal back in which now moves beautifully up and down as it should and so does the brake pedal. The steering box was refilled with SAE90 oil, I had un-opened bottle on the shelf dating back several years.
The front under dash body work brace that ran left to right (or vice versa) was re-installed, pipes pushed back on to the heater outlets and suddenly a faint glimmer of light was on the horizon. However, my next project is proving to difficult. The removal of the brake pipes to release the brake master cylinder is proving to be tiresome. Not wishing to round off the nuts they have all been liberally soaked in WD40. With some patience I hope they’ll loosen soon.
…mmm, that old car smell, right up my nostrils today when digging around in the garage for some tools on a non car job. Yep, the passion is still there to get the old girl started, and there is a glimmer on the horizon for at least a set of new leads next month.
Cash flow is the real problem here, a decent set of HT leads are required and I’ve not a penny to spend on the Corsair to try again on starting the engine. So, motivation has taken a bit of a knock, but the Corsair is not forgotten.
Just added 12 scans of genuine Crayford brochures here. Not much is on line about this company that specialised in soft top conversions of UK production cars and according to the Company brochure they did some engine development too. Hopefully they’ll be of interest.
Two old (dead) batteries were swapped today at a breakers near Stalbridge. I decided to keep the one I had been trying to resurect, but still had two old spares (one possibly being off the wife’s bug) kicking about. Luckily, I hadn’t disposed of them at the local recycling centre (dump) as the breakers yard took them in as a swap for one good fully charged one. Result!
I’ve not tried it out but attached it to the trickle charger for now. Fire up day looms…