Running problems and carb farts…

On the Saturday (8th April) I fitted a battery to use the fuel pump to suck fresh clean fuel from a fuel can to flush through the pipes, electric pump and in-line filter into a jar. The first wave of fuel was quite dirty, the second was cleaner and then the third batch was better still. The fuel wasn’t wasted – it went straight in to the lawnmower. The original battery was fitted – as the one I initially used didn’t have enough charge to turn the starter over properly. This one eventually fired the engine to life, after a few sluggish turn overs and then ran using fuel from the fuel can still sited on a wooden block at the other end of the car. After being satisfied with the car starting and running for a few minutes it was shut down and then the refurbished fuel tank was refitted with the remnants of the fuel can put in the tank.

On the Sunday a gallon (5 litres) of Tesco Momentum fuel was added – have been “Internet” informed it doesn’t contain ethanol, which can harm old fuel lines and components. With the help of my son, the brakes were re-bled (the system had a slight leak last summer and the reservoir became empty) and another fire up loomed with a test drive.

The test drive was down an access road to a car park, just across the road from my driveway, but it didn’t go to plan and the Corsair cut out as I was about to manouevre the car around at the bottom of the car park to come back! Then the Corsair wouldn’t start, not enough battery juice, at which point my son had been sent down to investigate as my wife couldn’t hear the Corsair’s engine running. We managed to push the car out of the way in the car park and then I jogged back to get the jump leads and the Passat.

The Corsair started fine but would only run for about a minute – so adjustment to the mixture screw enabled the engine to run without dying so quickly but with a fair bit of popping through the carburetor under load or acceleration. At least I could keep it going and drive the Corsair back into it’s garage. Disaster averted, but I’m none the wiser for getting the Corsair to run smoothly.

No MOT but direction to take it carefully

Got the Corsair back home without an MOT. It needed a fair bit of welding to the front end just behind the front valance where the anti-roll bar mounts are. The estimate for the welding was over £200 so I decided to have the car back and do as much my self in preparation and cleaning the affected area ready for welding by some one else.

The plus side to the pre-MOT inspection is that I got advice on other areas needing attention as well as several minor fixes done along the way. The Tappets need to be re-gapped/adjusted and the carburettor needs rebuilding and cleaning as the throttle doesn’t appear to move to full throttle. I also need to source a new or working main beam/indicator steering column stalk due to the full beam light switch not working. On tick over the car ran fine after some adjustments by Hill Top Motors but possibly due to the throttle not opening up enough, driving under load was still tricky with back fire and lacking power. If I was very gentle with the throttle it would be OK.

It would have been nice to have had it on the road for June, but I have got this far taking my time, I don’t want to rush into paying for a welding job that I could help with to save costs.

 

Pre-MOT check up

The Corsair at Hilltop Motors for a present MOT inspection.
The Corsair at Hilltop Motors for a present, a pre-MOT inspection.

It was time to get the Corsair to a garage for a pre-MOT check up to see how much more was needed to be done. Driving the old car over to Hilltop Motors, Shaftesbury at 7am was a bit stressful as it was back firing, running rough and the first time I had driven it any distance for over 13 years. I never got fast enough to get beyond third gear but the car felt good with the steering what with the new tie-rod ends and steering idler.

First impressions from Martyn weren’t too bad, a few minor faults like rear brakes were a bit sticky, the full beam light switch was faulty and water leak from the lower cooling hose from a corroded clip. But the main issues were the front anti roll bar mounts which were close to some corrosion on the front cross member. The Corsair will be at the garage for a few days with the hope that it comes away with a MOT.