Putting the gearbox back in – attempt two

It took from about 8.30 this morning jacking up the rear and putting onto the car ramps, then jacked up the front end which was placed onto axle stands.
2013-05-06 11.14.53
The gearbox was manoeuvred on some plywood scraps under the car and in to position. Rope was slung under the main body of the gearbox and tied off to a bit of 2×1″ through the trans tunnel inside the car. This was later chocked with bits of wood to raise the gearbox when required. In the meantime the trolley jack had been put under the ‘box to take the strain.
2013-05-06 11.15.11
This was wasn’t working, the gearbox was too unstable on the jack alone and with the middle section now supported by the rope. I had a fair bit of movement but was still struggling… I stopped for lunch at 1pm.

2013-05-06 11.15.37I resumed 1.30-ish, with my son (aged 10) now trying to help and be another pair of eyes. The lower stud guides I’d put in where doing their job but the ‘box was leaning to the right (towards drivers side) and the upper guides where not in line with the top of the ‘box.

After about an hour or so, I re-jigged the box so it was sat on a small section of 3 plywood and other bits to seat it properly with out wobbling about on the jack. On the re-try, my son was saying it was fowling the nearside exhaust manifold (not his words) and perhaps I should remove it… I carried on ‘cos dad knows better as I had got the gearbox out without having to remove the manifold!

My son soon got bored, and went off to play… I was edging the gearbox a bit nearer each time and nearly got it onto the two stud guides I had at the top of the block. I then heeded my 10 year old sons advice and loosened off the near side exhaust manifold. A few wiggles and the gearbox was onto the top two studs, yay! Some more wiggles and it got closer and closer… Then it sort of slopped/popped in to place. This was about 3.30pm.

It will have to come out again at some point, as the clutch pressure plate appears seized. At least I only wasted my time, and have gained some more experience. The new pressure plate will have to wait, another costing to be added to the list.

Thanks for reading

Unseizing the clutch – Part 3

Nice weather, so I took the day off to tackle the next stage of the clutch problem by removing the gearbox. By midday the gearbox was removed and clear of the car. Not too difficult, two trolly jacks and a some wood to drag the box out on and I remained fairly clean.

The clutch pressure plate and friction disk where removed and inspected. All looked ok but I had no means of testing whether is was scrap or a functional unit in need of lubrication. Anyway, I cleaned up the surfaces the friction plate came into contact with, sqiurted some WD40/Spray grease on what looked like they should be moving parts and put it all back in. The clutch assembly was all centralised properly using a tool I had inherited a while ago but not used until now.

The worst bit was to come, re-fit of the gearbox. Balanced on the two trolley jacks it got as far as about 3″ (8cm) away from going back on. Filthy dirty by now, I conceded defeat after 3 hours including some help from my wife in the latter stages. I simply ran out of muscle power or strength to lift the box back into the back of the engine. I may need some extra muscle to help.