Refit, Cross Thread & Busted

Had another go Wednesday evening  for the clutch cylinder re-fit and all appeared to be going well. With a copper mallet the slave unit was eased into the mounting hole on the bell housing. Then came the awkward bit of refitting the hydraulic pipe and its union to the slave. Being very conscious of the steel union and aluminum slave, it felt I had made sure the pipe and union went in squarely, finger tight. Then on with the spanner but as it got tighter the pipe still swiveled in its position, not good as I believed I had cross threaded the joint.

Getting the slave off was difficult as before. Using a lever iron to knock out the slave cylinder, it unfortunately slipped into the bore without me realising and after removal of the slave cylinder and inspection of the bore it revealed a nasty gouge that was unrepairable. And yes, I had also begun to strip the thread in the slave cylinder.

I remained restrained and put that one down to experience therefore will have to wait until funds are available to purchase a new slave unit and new clutch pipes and fixings.

Frustrating re-fits…

I spent over 2 hours attempting the re-fit of the clutch slave cylinder back in to it’s hole in the gearbox bell-housing, and still didn’t get it back in! The only success was the black pipe, between the master and slave, was eased on to the pipe ends after warming up in hot water which went without a problem. Lets hope they are secure or tight enough to cope with the pressure. Will try the re-fit another day…